Looking to be good to your heart but can’t get through the day without a snack or two? That’s okay because snacking can be part of a healthy diet, as long as you’re choosing the right foods. These quick and easy heart-healthy snacks are the ticket to satisfying hunger between meals without sabotaging your commitment to your health.
Join Our Newsletter
Get our best recipes and health tips delivered right to your inbox!
What are the best snacks for a healthy heart?
The best heart-healthy snacks combine lean protein, wholesome carbs and a bit of healthy fat to keep cravings at bay. They also contribute valuable vitamins and minerals to your diet. Heart-healthy snack foods also keep blood sugar levels steady and don’t contain a lot of sodium, which can increase blood pressure. And when it comes to heart-friendly snacking, calorie count should also be kept relatively low (under 200 calories) to help with weight control. After all, a healthy weight is key to a healthier heart.
With those heart-healthy snack tips in mind, it makes sense why you probably want to skip the vending machine at work the next time you need a midday pick-me-up. You’ll also want to think of snacks as real food rather than treats. Foods like cake, candy and chips may be fine to eat on occasion, but they don’t exactly top the list of healthy snacks. Instead, try some of the snacks listed below.
17 Delicious Heart-Healthy Snack Ideas (and Recipes, too!)
Stock your fridge, pantry and lunchbox with some good-for-you staples so you’re ready to grab a heart-healthy snack whenever hunger strikes. Each of these quick and easy snack ideas is under 200 calories per serving:
- 1 cup sliced cucumber and carrots with ¼ cup hummus (try this delicious Honey Dijon Hummus)
- ½ whole wheat pita stuffed with ¼ cup water-packed light tuna, lettuce, tomato and cucumber slices – or enjoy half of this Turkey Wrap
- 1 apple or pear with 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter (for an extra-special treat, make these Peanut Butter and Apple Wedges)
- ½ cup nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese topped with ¾ cup berries – or enjoy Raspberry Yogurt Parfait
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt mixed with 1 teaspoon honey, 10 chopped almonds and 4 ounces canned pineapple in its own juice – Honey Yogurt Berry Parfaits
- 1 rice cake spread with 1 tablespoon almond butter and sliced banana or try Peanut Butter Banana Bites
- ½ avocado drizzled with lemon juice and a dash of salt and pepper
- ½ cup unshelled pistachio nuts
For even more delicious and nutritious heart healthy snack recipes, check out our appetizers and snacks page!